Director of Communications
Episcopal Diocese of Maine
Celebrating its 200th Bicentennial year in 2020, the Episcopal Diocese of Maine serves 59 churches, 10,000 people and ministries throughout the Pine Tree State. The Diocese seeks to build and support strong communities of faith, to be good stewards of the natural beauty of Maine, and to welcome and serve all people.
The Episcopal Diocese of Maine seeks a Director of Communications to develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan for the diocese incorporating key strategies and messages reinforcing the vision, goals and mission as articulated by the newly installed 10th Bishop of Maine. Reporting to the Bishop, the Director of Communications will work closely with other members of the diocesan office staff, volunteer leadership, and ministry groups, congregations of the diocese, the community and media outlets.
The Director of Communications will:
• Provide communications leadership and management for all external/internal communications and marketing via print, electronic and social media outlets;
• Audit and assess the content, design, and delivery of existing print and electronic communications and identify opportunities and resources to enhance and promote the effectiveness and access of diocesan communications to and with all audiences;
• Be responsible for public/media relations, maintaining relationships with religious news organizations and secular news media, generating news releases, developing earned media, and sharing diocesan news and events with congregations, communities and beyond as appropriate;
• Serve as a communications consultant and resource to congregations and with groups/offices within the diocese.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan, create, edit, and distribute content for the Episcopal Diocese of Maine: serve as chief architect of the website, email campaigns, video, and media relations.
• Generate content and supervise the design of the biweekly electronic newsletter, The Dio Log.
• Manage outside consultants as needed.
• Work closely with other members of the staff to assist with events, including the annual convention of the Diocese of Maine and other special projects/events as required.
• Maintain confidentiality policies, and all other procedures and rules pertaining to the Episcopal Diocese of Maine.
Abilities and Skills:
• The ideal candidate will have 3 – 5+ years of experience in strategic planning, message platform development, and implementation;
• Excellent organizational, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for print and electronic media platforms;
• Public relations, media, and community relations skills and experience;
• Highly proficient skills as related to print and video production, website and social media platforms, and other marketing tools/outlets (Constant Contact, Basecamp, Zoom, Word Press);
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and familiar with G-Suite (Google) applications (email, calendar);
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks to meet deadlines;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex and politically sensitive ideas to a variety of audiences;
• Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment meeting the communications needs of a network of advocates for an organization’s mission.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
• Proven track record in marketing and communications;
• Basic video editing skills a plus;
• Experience in working with key executives and media professionals;
• Knowledge of the Episcopal Church is preferred;
• Experience in not-for-profit, academic, or religious institution preferred.
Type of Committment:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, including salary history/expectations to